Livestrong, die now!

September 8th, 2004 | by Mike |

Lance Armstrong…enough!

Enough with the damn yellow bracelets that are now everywhere! I’m tired of them, they have just gotten out of hand. In the beginning they were fine. They were for a good cause and the Tour de France was still going on. However these stupid little $1 bracelets have taken off because people are stupid and all it takes is a semi popular star (Sheryl Crow, Justin Timberlake) and the mindless masses jump on whatever crap-train happens to be driving by at the time. This time? That crap-train was these damn yellow bracelets.

So what is the problem? Well the organization initially was fine, but people have made this retarded. i.e. earlier today, I was sad to find out one of my co-workers has been mystified by this stupid fad and decided he wanted one. However he couldn’t find any. The only place where he could get one was this pompous idiot at my workplace that bought a ton of the things and has been hording them. When asked if someone could by one from him, he stated that he has plans to sell them to certain chosen people. How retarded is that? See, this guy doesn’t give a shit about cancer! He just wants him, and his equally lame family and friends to have these things for the status they currently hold in our society. Its time to end this fad of the livestrong bracelets!

I’d be happy too, if I had just won the Tour de France and have an army of stupid people blindly following me for misguided reasons.

And another thing… I really don’t understand why everyone is up Lance Armstrong’s ass so much anyway. Yes, he is probably the greatest athlete his sport has ever seen, but Barry Bonds could be considered that too, and everyone hates him, so that reason for liking Armstrong must be tossed. Why else should we like him? Because he had cancer and came back to win?! Well a lot of other people have had some horrible cases of cancer and have come back to have wonderful lives, maybe they aren’t doing it in the public lives, and they aren’t dating Sheryl Crow, but no one is kissing their asses. Andres Galarraga, a talented major league baseball player has come back from cancer twice! He’s an athlete on a professional level…where is his national kudos? Also, just because you have cancer does not make you a great guy. You could be a complete douche bag and have cancer…that doesn’t make you any less of a douche bag. Lance Armstrong is a douche bag. He has also turned into a complete corporate whore, doing every commercial that comes his way. They aren’t even cool commercials

Now why is this guy so cool again?

If you want to help cancer research, donate the dollar…but tell them to keep their crappy bracelet.

Be sure to check out Livestrong, die now! II

1. 139 Responses to “Livestrong, die now!”

2. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

“Think of a better word to use than Retard.”

Wow, you’re right. I should be using more high-level phrases like: “Get fuucked”. Oh and your “sick of my shit”? The don’t come to this page! I didn’t make you come here and write something. I realize that you are probably only 13 and the two guys that posted right after you are your little friends, but guys really…What the hell are you going to do about it?

It so funny how angry you, and others, get. What did I make fun of your daddy? Did I call your mom a slut? No. All I did was voice my opinion on a guy that you see on TV.

You guys are just little pussies.

Also, why is everyone so lazy they can’t just type out “You are”? Instead all these prepubescent posters just type “u r” and sometimes like our idiot friends “jon” and “andrew” they leave out the space and just go with a “ur”. I weep for the future of our world’s collective education.

3. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

“Think of a better word to use than Retard.”

You guys are just little pussies.

4. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

Hey Mike,

I really am sick of your opinion why dont you find something else to combine your negative thoughts with.
    The person who wrote above me I dont even know!

I have a quick question for you though. Were dropped on your head as a baby?

Simply because it will explain why your the retard! (hey look your favorite word)

5. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

Hi Mike,

Another thing, you think your so smart “the two guys that posted right after you are your little friends”
    Guess what asshole they’re the same guy. Are you sure your not 13. Maybe you should start reading the stuff that people put on your site before you comment.

6. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

Hey Mike,

The person who wrote above me I dont even know!

I have a quick question for you though. Were dropped on your head as a baby?

7. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

Hi Mike,

8. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

You really love me don’t you? You really care what I think, you keep coming back, you want to know about my childhood…do you have a poster of me on your wall too?

Oh and guess what dipshit. I read everything anyone posts, but I feel like stopping when I read pointless drivel like your posts.

Come on, we can stay on topic can’t we?

9. By Mike on Apr 25, 2005 | Reply

Come on, we can stay on topic can’t we?

10. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi again,

There is no subject to get back to because it has been exhausted from your continuous unsupported hate of the livestrong bands…
    So yeah maybe you should tell us about your life so we all can be ANTI-MIKE. And no i dont love you but i do have a question for you!

11. By Louise on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Ok then, you asked why would i comment on what others have said? Sorry for being ignorant of how your mind works but maybe you should explain yourself a bit further, how is that stupid, inane or pointless? All i was doing was giving my argument a little backbone, something which, to my knowledge, you have failed to do.

Secondly, i doubt that people are only going to react to what you say in your article, when they are ‘posting’ after numerous others have. You might like to check the facts before replying seeing as I referred to three other posts, not just one.

Next, how is the statement ‘The main problem is retards like you that think this is more than it is. It should just be a fundraiser, but you changed it into a fashion statement/religious experience with Armstrong as your spandex wearing messiah!’ a metaphor? A metaphor is when a person, says that one thing is another to descibe it, ie. All the world’s a stage. What you were doing was ASSUMING that I (Louise), turned this into a fashion statement and that I think that Lance is a messiah. Therefore that is the assumption. (You also assumed that I am a retard, but we wont go there, seeing as I clearly am not.)

Another thing, you’re probably right, growing up in a one parent household nowadays doesnt make you special, but Lance wasn’t brought up in a time when single parent family’s were not accepted, which made his life so much harder than it would in today’s society.

And finally I challenge you to convince me that someone who doesn’t have a good education can’t have a worthwhile opinion. Albert Einstein failed a school entrance exam and Leonardo Da Vinci only went to school untill he was about 14 but both are considered to be geniuses the world over. Just because someone hasn’t been taught to spell doesn’t mean they can’t have ideas. Spelling is learnt but ideas and thought processes are innate.

12. By louise on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

13. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi again,

14. By Louise on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

15. By louise on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

16. By "Sheryl Crow" on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

17. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Too bad Mike i would really hate to be you right now trying to rebut everyones thoughts because clearly they think your insignificant….

Maybe you should quit while your way behind.

The reason why i was getting stuck into you earlier is because you were the one giving everyone else abuse and unnecessary sarcasm. I bet it made you angry with the comments i made to you! (i figured you should learn how it feels)

Its fair enough to have your own contention. People would listen to what you have to say more if you didnt mouth-off as if they have thrown a rock at your head.

18. By "Sheryl Crow" on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

19. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Maybe you should quit while your way behind.

20. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

To Louise:
    Listen, I realize that you aren’t going to concede you were wrong. That’s fine. But everyone knows that you were not referring to others, you just didn’t read my article. We also all know you will never come clean to that. Its fine, you know you were really wrong.

Nope. It was a metaphor, and if you still aren’t happy with that, then we can call it a exaggeration for comedic / dramatic purposes. Like I said, I really don’t think anyone actually worships Armstrong. Although, I think the other “mike” might be his son, or at the very least jacks off to a picture of Lance right after he jacks off to a picture of me.

“…but Lance wasn’t brought up in a time when single parent family’s were not accepted,” Nope. Still doesn’t make him special.

“…convince me that someone who doesn’t have a good education can’t have a worthwhile opinion.” Ok, lets take the other Mike for an example. This moron clearly is either too young to have finished any meaningful education or is just stupid. Look at what he is writing. That guy is beneath everyone. Oh yeah, I also don’t care what you think either. I would have cared and I even started too, but then I noticed that you misspelled “describe” (you put “descibe”). So now I don’t care what you say either.

“Oh and another thing, by attacking people’s grammar, spelling and personal views you degrade your own article and also your argument”

You just don’t get it do you?
    ———-
    To “Sheryl”:

“lol “ur” means you’re so its not just lazy people who cant be bothered doing a ” ” and this isn’t exactly important 2 people so they and if they are lazy with their grammer it only shows how much they don’t care about you.”

My god you are a complete idiot. You know those paint chips in your old house might taste good, but they are really doing some serious damage to you.

—-

To Other Mike:

Actually, I’m feeling pretty good and I’m having a blast laughing at all of these inane comments.

“Do you know anyone who has been ravaged by cancer, do they wear a livestrong band? “

Yes and no.

“I just hope you dont become diagnosed. As i am quite sure you would regret the comments you have made to people on this site.” Nope. Actually I have plans in place that if I do happen to die of cancer. I plan to have a really tall stone set with my article and all of my comments engraved into it. I also don’t recall saying anything bad about cancer sufferers in general…just Lance.

“I bet it made you angry with the comments i made to you! ” Nope. Why would I care what some random guy on the web thinks of me? I realize that all of you care what I think, but that doesn’t mean to oppisite is true.

“People would listen to what you have to say more if you didnt mouth-off as if they have thrown a rock at your head.”

I think I said it in a clear calm tone from the very beginning. Now, when people swerve off topic, the conversation gets dragged with them. That being said, having never had a rock thrown at my head, so I’m not sure how I would react, but I don’t think it is close to what I have shown here.
    People that want to hear what I have to say will actually read the article and make their decision. Not everyone out there decides to get so angry to post vulgarities and flip out like Armstrong is your daddy.

21. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

To Louise:

You just don’t get it do you?
    ———-
    To “Sheryl”:

—-

To Other Mike:

“Do you know anyone who has been ravaged by cancer, do they wear a livestrong band? ”

Yes and no.

22. By Hanni on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi Mike,

first of all I’m sorry for all the mistakes my comment will contain. English is not my native language (I’m German).

I am an great fan of Lance Armstrong and I was simply shocked when I read the headline of this article. So I started reading…

I agree with some of your arguments but there are a few points I would like to comment:

I don’t know if it’s right to call Lance Armstrong a “douche bag” (what the hell is a douche bag??). Your main argument is that those bracelets are something like a commercial and that he should spend the money anonymously.

I think that something like a cancer foundation works at its best when a popular person found it. It is nothing despicably as long it helps people. What did you do to have the right to criticize it when he gains a profit out of that? This is definitely not his reason for founding that foundation. Do you really think that he thought “Well, I would like to have more money what could I do?? I could found a foundation so the people think I am great person although I’m a douche bag. What was a douche bag again?” ?

And those “little advertisements” makes the people spend for a good reason. Without them most of us wouldn’t know about the LAF.
    I can understand that it is annoying to see everybody walking around with a bracelet without knowing what it means but I also just can’t reconstruct your situation because in Germany aren’t so many people wearing it.

Another person called him a whore for leaving his wife. What do we know about his private life? Not as much to judge about him and this is good!

I would like to write more but I can’t remember what i also wanted to say…maybe next time =).

Hanni

23. By Hanni on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi Mike,

Hanni

24. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi mike,

Can you get a condom big enough to cover that huge dick on your head? Maybe you could fill it with some DOUCHE!

25. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

First off, thank you for a somewhat nice reply. Its been a while since I’ve seen one of these.
    I must reiterate, for oh, at least the 100th time. I DID NOT SAY HE IS GETTING KICKBACKS FROM THE DONATIONS TO THE CHARITY! What I said, is that it is a very nice little marketing campaign for himself. Now, he is clearly getting tons of endorsements, and some of that notoriety he is enjoying is stemming from those little yellow bracelets. If you are going to say that he is just famous because he rides a bike better than anyone, let me stop you there and ask you who were to other people to win the tour 5 times (the former record)? Yeah, I don’t know either.
    I don’t like Armstrong, but really though, my main problem with it is the people. They have ruined it. Need examples, read most of the comments above.
    Oh yeah, what is a douche bag? Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_bag
    The guys that have won the tour 5 times each? Heres the answer: Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, Jacques Anquetil and Miguel Indurain.

26. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Hi mike,

27. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

You know, I have no problems with replying to all of your on-topic comments. But if we can’t even stay close to being on topic, then I’ll have to shut the comments on this post down. I don’t care if you call me a dickhead, but at least have some sort of substance to your post. Seriously, the “condom for the dick on your head” line? I didn’t realize I stepped in the way back machine and stepped out in 1992.

Lame lame lame…

28. By Mike on Apr 26, 2005 | Reply

Lame lame lame…

29. By Hanni on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

When I said “profit” I didn’t mean money he gets from the donations. Sorry for that misunderstanding but I still don’t understand your problem with the marketing campaign. Tell me what Lance Armstrong should do differently? I’m glad that his popularity grows with that campaign so more and more people will spend their money. The growing popularity is a side effect you cannot prevent and there is no reason for preventing it, right?

It’s just naturally that nobody remembers the other men who won the Tour de France five times. Their triumphs are years ago of course no one really remembering them. Ok, I could have told you their names but just because cycling is a very popular sport in Europe. I am sure that no one will talk about Lance Armstrong in ten years.

I agree with you when you say that some “trend-following” people have ruined it in some case but I haven’t got a problem with them as long as it is for a good case.

30. By Anna on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Hey Mike,
    I have a question: what is your real problem?
    I agree with you in the point that the LAF is a marketing campaign for Armstrong himself (of course!!). But on the other hand it’s a great thing to use your popularity to start a foundation; to call the people’s attention to spend some money on such important things like the fight against cancer – by the way… there are also hundreds of other very important campaigns.
    In my opinion one of the main problems of today’s society is that the most of us aren’t interested in spending money for charity organisations. So we need famous people to make the people think of it. Otherwise they would not realize the necessarity of supporting such campaigns. There is no way out of it.
    Today it’s Lance Armstrong… but the next generations maybe would not remember him either, then there will be an other famous person founding a foundation to fight against whatever and the people will buy the products of the campaign. But is it really so bad? Don’t you think it’s the one and only possibility to make the people spending their money?
    Of course it’s foolish to wear the Livestrong-bracelets just the way you wear some status symbol. But who cares of the foolishness of the mankind?
    You don’t have to love Armstrong, but you have to realize that it’s (maybe) the only chance to make the people think of it, to wake them up.
    Best regards,
    Anna

PS: My English is not the best… I’m sorry!

31. By Hanni on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

32. By Anna on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Hey Mike,
    I have a question: what is your real problem?
    Best regards,
    Anna

PS: My English is not the best… I’m sorry!

33. By Mike on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Ok people. Maybe you didn’t or can’t read the huge graphic at the top of this page, so I’ll say it once more…hopefully for the last time.

I do not have a problem with charity. I do not have a problem with people giving money to cancer research.

What I don’t like is Armstrong himself and the stupid people that have turned this psuedo-well-meaning foundation into a complete farce.

34. By Hanni on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Of course I’ve understood that you don’t have a problem with people giving money to cancer research but after reading your last reponse I realised that your reasons aren’t really comprehensible. They are based on the assumption that the LAF is a “pseudo-well-meaning foundation” (that’s a quotation!). You don’t like Armstrong because so much people admire him.

No one says that cancer turns you into a better person but I think what really annoys you is that so many people admiring him for admirablly things which you just cannot understand because he could probably be a “douche bag” and other people who also survived cancer aren’t as popular as him (what a dishonor!!!).

Let me tell you something: He isn’t so popular because he survived cancer. The reason is that after surviving cancer he won the hardest sportevent on earth six times in a row! That turns him into a symbol of hope for so many people! (Yeah I know Barry Bonds is able to swing a baseball bat and no one is interested…)

35. By Mike on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

36. By Louise on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Mike do you really want someone to list all of your spelling mistakes? I have only made one gramatical or spelling error in all of the comments I have posted. And seeing as you are clearly wrong, numbers of people have repatedly proved that (and I agree that abuse is pointless but you shouldn’t throw stones if you live in a glass house), maybe you should give up while you are ahead, it is pretty plain to see, particularly after reading the last few post’s and your replys to them, that your are very jelouse of Lance Armstrong and wish that you were even remotely as popular or famouse as him. I can’t even begin to voice how rediculous that makes you and also how pointless your opinion is.

37. By Hanni on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

38. By Louise on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

39. By Mike on Apr 27, 2005 | Reply

Just because more people are writing in that disagree with me has no bearing on the validity of my argument. Also, if I was jealous of Armstrong because of his fame or popularity, why aren’t I writing articles about every other famous and popular person? Clearly you are the one that is making senseless statements.

Really now, I don’t have the time or desire to keep answering the same pointless questions over and over again. If no one can bring anything new to the discussion then it has run its course. You are all saying the same lame things over and over again! Its all very pointless. I can’t believe that all of you, seemingly anonymous internet users, all have the same stupid, baseless arguments. It’s a shame. This was really getting to be a great discussion.

Sadly, I must do what I never wanted to do and shut down the comments for an article. I think we all know why. I have refuted all of your points on why, for some reason, you think I should like some yellow spandex wearing loser, and collectively you can’t seem to bring anything new to the table. Sad. For a moment there I thought someone might really think of a better argument than “You suck”, “Its ok to write like a retard (there, that last one’s for you “Other Mike”)” and “Look at what all the other people have said!”…but clearly you can’t, and those that can have failed to step forward.

And so ends the comments section on one truly great article, if not because of how amazingly clear and thought-provoking it is, than because of the sheer interest and emotions it brought out in all of you morons that for some reason act like you know him or is the father of your maladjusted child.

Here is the final word on this subject: Lance Armstong is, and will always be, a douche bag.

The end….for now.