Is CakePHP the Answer to Ruby On Rails?

August 9th, 2005 | by Mike |

Ruby on Rails is the shiniest, newest thing in the world of web development (my books should be coming soon from Amazon), because it allows the programmer to do away with hundreds of lines of code to do basic database driven website stuff. For example, a simple blog that has adding, editing and deleting entries can take 10 times the amount of code in PHP as it can in a Ruby on Rails version. So does this mean the end to our beloved PHP? Not if CakePHP has anything to do with it.
Here are CakePHP’s features:

Features

* compatibile with PHP4 and PHP5
* supplies integrated CRUD for database and simplified querying so you shouldn’t need to write SQL for basic operations (although some familiarity with SQL is strongly recommended)
* request dispatcher with good-looking, custom URLs
* fast, flexible templating (PHP syntax with helper methods)
* works from a website subdirectory, with very little Apache configuration involved (requires .htaccess files and mod_rewrite to work; these are available on most web servers)

Hmm. I’m going to have to give this a try. I still plan on using Ruby on Rails, but this could be nice for those large PHP projects most developers have lying around. Has anyone out there used CakePHP yet?

1. 8 Responses to “Is CakePHP the Answer to Ruby On Rails?”

2. By clint on Aug 16, 2005 | Reply

I think CakePHP is a great start for PHP in the newest battle for “web domination”. I’ve only used it for about a week – but so far It’s everything RoR is!

3. By clint on Aug 16, 2005 | Reply

4. By Jenga on May 4, 2006 | Reply

cakePHP is a solid competitor to Rails, but the documentation is lacking. Go to the IRC channel for help and get, “Have you tried searching google?”… uh, yeah, thats why I’m here. Additionally it seems like there is just one guy, phpnut, working on the development side… scary.

5. By Jenga on May 4, 2006 | Reply

6. By Mike on May 5, 2006 | Reply

That sucks. Whats the point of having a developer channel when all they do is shoo you way with what is becoming the lamest statement in all of online discussions: “Have you checked Google?”

7. By Mike on May 5, 2006 | Reply

8. By Jenga on May 23, 2006 | Reply

Pfft, yeah, good question. Its typically full of incessant babble about the ‘awesomeness’ of cake with intermittent self-gratification by the core developers. Worthless I tell you!!!!!

9. By Jenga on May 23, 2006 | Reply