Google Talk

August 24th, 2005 | by Mike |

Well, it looks like the rumors were true…Google Talk is here! I’ve had it installed for all of 30 seconds and I managed to crash it. I’m going to try again to get Google Talk going to see if it is worth yet another account for myself, but in the mean time here are a few links to get you started:

Google Talk download (Windows only)
Download Squad’s Review of Google Talk

Lastly, Google sucks for not releasing a Mac or a Linux client…but never fear! Google Talk is Jabber (The open-source IM server) at heart and Mac and linux geeks have clients for Jabber in spades. For mac you can use iChat, or Adium, for linux use GAIM. Here’s a link that TUAW has on setting up Google Talk on iChat or Adium (Virtually the same setup applies to Linux’s GAIM as well)
How to set up Google Talk on your Mac

Let me know if this crashes for you as well, and if you are on Linux, how good is the connection for you?

Update:

For those (ok, maybe just me) having trouble connecting via Adium, heres a bit of help. As stated before, username and password are your Gmail username and password. Here is a grab of the connection settings:

As for a “review”? Its ok I guess. Nothing special.

1. 14 Responses to “Google Talk”

2. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

I could not get this to work last night with Fire. Kept getting a error that asked me if I wanted to create an account (or something). I’ll fight with it some more tonight.

3. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

I’m having a bit of trouble (read: bitch of a time) trying to get on via Adium.

Server: talk.google.com
    Port: 5222
    Encryption: SSL on

Not sure why it won’t let me on. Probably the same trouble you are having with Fire.

4. By Joe on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

yeah, so it sounds interesting, but I don’t think I will bite

5. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

In time all succumb to the power of the mighty Google Hype Machine!

6. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

7. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

alright alright. I got it working. I had not checked ‘Use SSL’ before. I’ve got buddies on AOL, MSN, Y!, ICQ, and now GTalk. This is using the Jabber protocol which is nice when compared to the other networks since Jabber is a completely open standard – open to anyone and everyone.
    Google doesn’t usually do something without making it notable in some respect – what do you think they have up their four billion dollar sleeves?

8. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

I’m having a bit of trouble (read: bitch of a time) trying to get on via Adium.

Server: talk.google.com
    Port: 5222
    Encryption: SSL on

9. By Joe on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

yeah, so it sounds interesting, but I don’t think I will bite

10. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

In time all succumb to the power of the mighty Google Hype Machine!

11. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

12. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

I’m thinking the same thing. Sure their client is smooth and clean looking, but it is also missing a lot of features that even ICQ had oh so many years ago. So what are they trying to improve on here?

We’ll see I guess, but at least this 4th IM network isn’t causing me any more trouble because its an easy add to Adium.

13. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

This is only your fourth network? you wuss.

14. By Mike on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

15. By danielcole on Aug 24, 2005 | Reply

This is only your fourth network? you wuss.