Who Uses 800×600? Anyone?

October 30th, 2005 | by Mike |

Recently, at Gagetopia, Deane did some research to see what resolution most of his readership is using for the window opening on their browser. (He didn’t use total screen resolution because not everyone keeps their browser window maximized…especially true for us OS X users.) Deane found that 90% of the Gadgetopia readers were at 1024 x 768 or more. Thats a large number of people that aren’t using 800×600, which the width of this site was designed to accommodate. So my question is: Should I bother accommodating them any longer?

When I do my professional designs at work I always design for 800×600 without question. The reason for that is on the sites that my company runs, their clientele is not exactly technically savvy which means that probably have older computers running at 800 x 600. Of course, that rule of thumb doesn’t really follow for the viewers of Hell Yeah Bitch! .com. I assume most of you are members of the more computer-oriented crowd.

So what do you think? Should I play with the design a bit and give it some more room? If so, do you have any suggestions on what to do with the new space? Now, I’m not planning on doing anything soon, I’ve got a big night tomorrow of watching Monday Night Football and switching during the commercials to the Halloween episode of Moesha, but I was just playing with some ideas in my head and I figured I’d let you all in on my thoughts.

1. 6 Responses to “Who Uses 800×600? Anyone?”

2. By danielcole on Oct 31, 2005 | Reply

I install internet at people’s homes so I have the pleasure of seeing a lot of different computers in any given week. While most people are a 1024×768 or more, there are a *good* number of people still at 800×600 (and I swear to God – I’ve seen Win98/WinME @ 640×480 more than once). I figure people keep these resolutions for one of two reasons: Bad eyesight – I myself have stopped using some websites because they’ve made the text so damn small, and my eyes are mostly ok. And 2: They may not know how to increase the resolution. Yeah, HYB.com is a geek’s geek website so I imagine that most of us have an idea of what we’re doing. But if you’re designing a website to be used by the general public you have to remember that even if your user has internet and can find your site, there’s still no guarantee that they know how to use their own computer.
    There. There’s my 13.5 cents

3. By Mike on Oct 31, 2005 | Reply

My thoughts exactly. Other sites I make have a more broad user-base, but I wasn’t sure about this site. I know a lot of web designers that are yearning to throw away the users working at 800×600 and give themselves more space to play with, but I have a hard time dismissing them, even on a site like this.

4. By danielcole on Oct 31, 2005 | Reply

I would be ok with a javascript-type-thingie that scanned the user’s window size and if it saw 800×600 it would add a top banner disclaimer saying that they should upgrade their screen resolution. Nothing that prevented the rest of the page from loading, no popups or anything of the like, just a top banner saying “hey dumbshit – 800×600 sucks. This is how to make things look better.”

5. By danielcole on Oct 31, 2005 | Reply