I Want A Boot Video

November 9th, 2005 | by Mike |

You’ve seen the movie Hackers right? Yes, I know its dumb. Yes, I know its fake as hell. …and yes, I, for some reason, love that movie too. Anyway. Remember towards the end of that movie where they are “hacking the Gibson” and they all boot up their chunky little laptops? Each of them has a cool little video / movie / animation that plays when they boot their computer, before they get to their desktop. I want that. Don’t you think that would be cool? Sure it might be annoying everyonce in a while when you just want your laptop to boot up quickly so you can get something done, but all those other times…it would be awesome!

So how do we get that to happen? That I don’t know. Apple does this when you first install Tiger or get a new Mac, they play that little “welcome” video. So I did a little digging. I found where the movie is stored that plays on initial setup, and I found out that deleting a certain XML file will cause the system to go through the setup again…but thats as far as I’ve gotten.

Does anyone have more suggestions on how to get this hack done? Does anyone really even care if this hack gets done?

1. 7 Responses to “I Want A Boot Video”

2. By Joe on Nov 9, 2005 | Reply

do a search around for the longest startup chime, I don’t remember where I saw it, but it was a video of a mac starting up and it had something like a 5 minute startup chime, and the volume was on 11… all in a Library that was packed and silent… I want that. Now.

3. By Joe on Nov 9, 2005 | Reply

Go there and laugh. Now dammit.

4. By Joe on Nov 9, 2005 | Reply

5. By Joe on Nov 9, 2005 | Reply

here I did all the hard work for you:

Go there and laugh. Now dammit.

6. By Mike on Nov 9, 2005 | Reply

Yeah, where did you first see that? Hmm….oh yeah, IT WAS HERE!

The other thing is I’m not talking about a start-up sound, I’m talking about a start up sound, I’m talking about a start up movie. Hell of a try though.

7. By danielcole on Nov 11, 2005 | Reply

is this the ghost of Joe? good to meet you.

I don’t know how you’d get it to load at startup, but I’m sure you could whip up something cool in quartz composer.

8. By danielcole on Nov 11, 2005 | Reply

is this the ghost of Joe? good to meet you.