Hell Yeah Bitch! .com Tries Google Analytics

November 14th, 2005 | by Mike |

Yes, we, like probably every other site in the world, and giving Google Analytics a try this morning. For those not cool enough to be in the hip internet news circle, Google Analytics is Google’s new service that give site owners details on the traffic coming to their site. Normally this isn’t something I would jump on to try out, but since moving to DreamHost we lost the use of some of my favorite site data tracking packages. Maybe Google Analytics will be what I’m looking for. Sure, its a little “big brother”-ish, and I’m sure if Microsoft tried to do this people would flip out, (though I’m sure I would still have tried it out.) but if I’m not into in in a few months, I’ll just remove the javascript. Plus, its not like we are running a top secret website over here.

They say I’ll have some type of report ready in 12 hours, so I’ll be sure to report back on the results and if Google sends me a letter on how they “own me” with a written version of a evil laugh since they have the data on how many people come to my site today.

1. 12 Responses to “Hell Yeah Bitch! .com Tries Google Analytics”

2. By danielcole on Nov 14, 2005 | Reply

yeah, I put that up on my site too. should have results in an hour or two. did you notice that the google analytics site was s–l–o–w?

3. By danielcole on Nov 14, 2005 | Reply

4. By Mike on Nov 15, 2005 | Reply

Yeah, it was painfully slow yesterday. It seems to be better now, but my report that was supposed to take 12 hours, still has nothing in it 24 hours later.

5. By Mike on Nov 15, 2005 | Reply

6. By danielcole on Nov 15, 2005 | Reply

yeah, I was wondering about that too! I’ve been waiting for my reports and nothing yet. I think I had something in my domain setup askew, but I got that fixed over ’12 hours’ ago.
    It’s also not safari-friendly, which confuses me because the report tables are flash-based. I’ve never written a flash anything so this me typing without knowing anything, but what in a flash app could work in one browser and not another. I always thought it was akin to the java virtual machine model where as long as there was a flash plugin for whatever you were using the flash app would work.
    Please, someone tell me why I’m wrong.

7. By danielcole on Nov 15, 2005 | Reply

Please, someone tell me why I’m wrong.

8. By danielcole on Nov 16, 2005 | Reply

I’ve got data now as of this morning. It looks like there’s a ton of reports to look at. There’s only one day of data to look at, but some inital numbers are intersting:

Going back to a previous topic, 49% of the visitors to my company’s website have a 800×600 screen resolution. I think it’s a long time before 800×600 dies enough that you don’t have to support it any more.

9. By danielcole on Nov 16, 2005 | Reply

10. By danielcole on Nov 16, 2005 | Reply

#——————————————————–
    # Screen Resolutions (rough)
    #——————————————————–
    1280×720 – 1%
    1400×1050 – 1%
    1920×1200 – 1%
    1600×1200 – 1%
    1440×900 – 1%

11. By Mike on Nov 16, 2005 | Reply

According to the little data we have for Hell Yeah Bitch!, about 15% of the readers are still running 800×600. Thats a little surprising to me actually.

12. By danielcole on Nov 16, 2005 | Reply

#——————————————————–
    # Screen Resolutions (rough)
    #——————————————————–