From what I’ve been hearing on and off-line, pretty much everyone hates the new design.
It will be changed.
But first, let me explain what I was going for. What I wanted to do with the site was make it cleaner and dare I say it, more professional. Lately we’ve been seeing some good linking from some fairly big sites and I felt the old design looked a little too “this is my blog, I live somewhere hip and talk about how much I love Coldplay”-ish. So I wanted something a bit harder.
Here are the main complaints I’ve heard thus far:
1. Its ugly.
2. Its better when you can read most of the articles in full on the front page.
3. People don’t understand the picture on the right.
Here are my answers:
1. Ok. I see your point. But I’ve always been searching for something between too flashy and too straight and narrow. I want it to have a feel like a on-line magazine, but its tough when you have serious content limitations. Seriously, I’m open to suggestions.
2. The reason I went with the summary of the articles on the front page was simple. It was just easier to manage. When I had the full articles on there before that left column got long fast and made the right column look really stubby. Maybe a compromise of longer summaries? Or is everyone rock hard and having 5 full articles on the front page at all times?
3. The picture on the right is just that. I wanted something where any of the writers here could post of a picture with a caption. Sometimes I run articles that are really just pictures, this way I could still show them but not have it take up a whole article space.
I’m moving back to the old design for now, but the hated newer design will still be up at: hellyeahbitch.com/ugly Obviously, I need help so any suggestions are welcome. Don’t expect anything new for a week or so though, I’m already stressed out about me moving this week and today I found out my bills are shooting up higher than I thought, so assuming I don’t kill someone or shave my head and join the Peace Corps, something new will be done in a few weeks most likely. Maybe around the new year.
Seriously though, if you guys didn’t (or did) like the new design, I’m going to need comments to fix it.