ESPN ZOOM: The New Busch Stadium

April 10th, 2006 | by Mike |

Sadly I couldn’t get tickets, but I’m sure there is a sea of red clad, happy people flooding around downtown St. Louis right now. The festivities for the first home opener for “Busch Stadium III” are set to kick off any minute, with the game starting roughly an hour after that. I’ll get down there a little latter in the season to see the new park from the inside, but until then I have to settle for pictures. However, viewing pictures of the new park on the web was a surprisingly pleasant experience today when I found the new (?) feature on EPSN.com called EPSN ZOOM. Its an auto-resizing flash application that shows each picture in a gallery in beautiful full window size with a simple navigation on the top and a little information / caption box that can be drug around the window or hidden at will. Its is truly one of the best and cleanest flash implemetations I have seen thus far. I know its simple, but to me, this is really what flash should be used for: A simple, clean interface for a single aspect of a site. ESPN has really done some nice work reworking the entire face of the online face of their brand and ZOOM is one of the nicer and more surprising features they have added.

…Oh yeah, I love the look of the new Busch stadium as well. It should be a good day today…and maybe, just maybe I’ll get in a better mood after last night’s this past weekend’s stupid loss to sweep by the Cubs.
View the new Busch Stadium in the ESPN ZOOM gallery

1. 12 Responses to “ESPN ZOOM: The New Busch Stadium”

2. By Michael Colella on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

Mike,

I am the creator of the ZOOM gallery which is you have commented about. I designed and developed it within 2 weeks to get it ready for Super Bowl XL. I am somewhat pleased with it, but am thinking of ideas to implement for v2.0. You definitely “get it” and are one of the users it was intended for. I would love to hear some comments on how you think this can be improved.

Thanks for the kind words!

Michael Colella
    Art Director
    EAPN.com

3. By Michael Colella on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

LOL … nice typo!

ESPN.com

4. By Michael Colella on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!

Michael Colella
    Art Director
    EAPN.com

5. By Michael Colella on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

LOL … nice typo!

ESPN.com

6. By Mike Flynn on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

First off, its great to hear from you and I’m glad you stopped by.

As far as ways to improve it, there’s not much there I don’t like. The only thing I could as for is a way to view bigger thumbnails, maybe a thumbnail view in the main section of the screen a a la iPhoto. Other than that though, a year later and I still think its one of the better flash products out there on the web today.

7. By Mike Flynn on Feb 8, 2007 | Reply

First off, its great to hear from you and I’m glad you stopped by.

8. By Michael Colella on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment and it is great to hear you enjoy it. I will be working on some new wireframes and UI ideas for v2. I think adding different thumbnail views is a great idea and would be helpful from a UI perspective, in addition to giving the user some personalization control.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the next version.

Michael Colella
    Art Director
    ESPN.com

9. By Michael Colella on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Mike,

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the next version.

Michael Colella
    Art Director
    ESPN.com

10. By Constantine on Apr 29, 2007 | Reply

I was just searching for other ZOOM galleries because I find random ones through I don’t know how, so…a ZOOM archive, maybe? 😉
    It is one of the great things espn.com has, when I see those pictures, makes me want to be a photographer.

11. By Constantine on Apr 29, 2007 | Reply

12. By Michael Colella on May 9, 2007 | Reply

Constantine, great inquiry and it is something we are looking into. We sometimes have difficulties having photo galleries having an extended shelf life due to our rights and usage agreements, but this is a product worth exploring extended rights.

Michael Colella