I’ve Had Enough. Goodbye ICQ. You Suck.

June 6th, 2006 | by dan |

icq_logo_no.jpgI’ve got accounts on AIM, Yahoo!, MSN & ICQ because I’ve got friends on all four services. I’ve switched from Trillian to Gaim to Fire and now to Adium to manage all my account connections. One thing has been consistant throughout: ICQ Spam. Here’s just some of the past month’s worth of junk that pops up on my computer:

1:39 PM May 2 154925039: hi! want meet ? you can see my photo and camshot http://24.18.162.102:8180/index.html

5:26 AM May 15 166595611: Need extra cash?
You can earn 2k weekly
5:26 AM May 15 166595611: Join eMaxCash partnership program!
Contact us > icq 190733722

9:50 PM April 25 176967616: hi! How are you? Do you want to know new great thing?

2:51 AM April 30 216161879: hello
11:05 AM April 30 216161879: hi
7:02 PM April 30 216161879: hello?
7:03 PM April 30 216161879: hello?

7:04 PM June 5 228533728: Do You smoke ?

i sale cheap cigarettes. 1 carton (200 cigarettes) for $8.4 (Marlboro, Camel and etc…)

visit site: www DOT discount-smoke DOT com

8:06 PM June 6 301830580: Hello! You Wish to learn as to earn many money? It completely not difficultly, simply type in the brovvser: “money-book” and “.net”

And my favorite just because it’s so balantant advertising:

6:45 AM April 6 254582560: Hi,
May I point your attention to the book Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict.
Google banned Shoher’s website from the ad program for “unacceptable content.” The book, however, is honest and rational.
Please download the book free from www.terrorism-in-israel.com
Best,
Alex Hertz
alex@terrorism-in-israel.org
6:46 AM April 6 254582560: For more information visit our site http://tr.terrorism-in-israel.org

There’s links galore in all these messages, but I stripped them out for all of our saftey. So, this is it. I’m done. I’m tired of coming back to my computer and having a dozen random messages and just as many requests to allow people to add me as their buddy. As a note to all the people that I regularly chat with on ICQ (Mike: you’re the only one, actually) catch me from now on on AIM or Yahoo! or MSN, and I might even start signing in to Google Talk also.

1. 2 Responses to “I’ve Had Enough. Goodbye ICQ. You Suck.”

2. By Mike on Jun 7, 2006 | Reply

Yeah, I get some of that too, but clearly not as much as you. ICQ has just always been there for me. I’ve had it for so long my number is only 7 digits and to this day I can still recite in on request. ICQ was the first, and until AOL bought it, the best. Its a shame to see what has become of it.

I still sign into ICQ because its setup on Adium and honestly I really don’t ever make a point to talk to anyone (Dan and one other friend) on ICQ, I usually just click on the “Dan” thats in the top of the list, which I guess now will be his AIM account. Though I’m sure the wave of SPAM will soon crash upon me and I too will have to give up ICQ.

One question though: Did you check out that girl’s “cam shot”? Maybe she was a hot chick that genuinely wanted to meet you. You might have just labeled your future soul-mate as SPAM.

3. By Mike on Jun 7, 2006 | Reply