Highschool 2.0

August 31st, 2006 | by Mike |

You think tech guys like Tim O’Reilly, Dave Winer, Robert Scoble and Anil Dash are some how above the underlying bickering and squabbles that happen every day on blogs all over the place? Then open your eyes my friend and read the comments of this post. Big-time tech names are bouncing in and out whining, begging and trying desperately to be witty all over a conversation about the exclusive FOO Camp.

Here’s a run down:

UPDATE: 2:24pm CST

Its still going! Dave Winer’s comments are getting shorter though, which I’m taking as a good sign. The bad sign is Shelley is trying so hard to be funny that she is making it hard for me to tell her she isn’t funny and she needs to stop. Here’s the tough love: Shelley, you aren’t funny. Please stop. If you don’t stop the people from CBS will come to get you and put you to work writing sitcoms about a fat guy and his hot wife where the rest of the people that think they’re funny but aren’t work.

Is it just me picturing all of them in a crowd with the arms outstretched slapping at each other, or are the rest of you doing that too?

UPDATE 2: 4:36pm CST

Shelley, I’m begging now. Stop. Your comments aren’t even a little funny. I’m on your side. I’m trying to help you out, but you have to take the first step and back the hell away from your keyboard. Also, that splashing sound you heard was Dave Winer squatting and firing out a long comment again. I guess this will only end when finally someone pushes Dave and Tim in to the middle of the circle and starts pointing and yelling “Fight! Fight! Fight!…”

Link: Welcome to Foo, you lucky few

1. 975 Responses to “Highschool 2.0”

2. By Anil on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

It’s absolutely like high school, and it’s annoying. What I was trying to do was politely point out how foolish that made the whole conversation seem, when there’s literally tens of millions of other blogs that people could be reading which wouldn’t be full of drama.

So, FWIW, I agree with you. And believe me, it’s even worse being in the middle of an industry where this kind of thing is considered normal.

3. By Mike on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

Thanks Anil for dropping a comment and letting me know I’m not the only one that saw it that way. Its truly amazing to read through those comments. They are unintentionally hilarious, but you know, in that sad kinda way, like watching Britney Spears talk about “her comeback.”

There are bad things about being a professional
    web geek in St. Louis (like no conferences), and then there are good things. Not being so close to Web 2.0 High is definitely on the Good List.

Also, I’ll be honest: I picked on you to get another name to stress my point. Your comment was truly the best of the bunch.

4. By Anil on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

5. By Mike on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

There are bad things about being a professional

6. By Shelley on Sep 1, 2006 | Reply

Anil, you were tossing wrenches just to be cute and coy. If it was high school, how does it feel to be one of the kids?

7. By Mike on Sep 1, 2006 | Reply

“I’m devasted you didn’t think I was funny, Mike. Really, I mean I may give all this up, I’m so devastated.”

That seriously would be great for everyone if you would “give all this up.” Here’s the problem though: Its hard to unmask your sincerity with all that super-awesomely hilarious dry wit you keep spitting out.

8. By Shelley on Sep 1, 2006 | Reply